Remembering Patrick

To post your thoughts, email friendsofpatrick@gmail.com to subscribe.



On September 4, 2005, Patrick Kirk crossed over to a higher plane, at the age of 33. His ashes were interred at Harleigh Cemetery in Camden, N.J. Sept. 24


Saturday, September 10, 2005

Coqui Eternal

It was 1992. Patrick returns from a trip to Peurto Rico. He shares, with me, all the beauty and majesty of the rain forest and the wonderful people he saw and enjoyed. He digs into his back pack and, with his usual look of mystery, hides something in each hand. He says, "Pick one." I do. He opens the hand I so carefully choose and offers me a gift... a small, round piece of ceramic fixed onto a piece of leather to wear around my neck. Carved into the mysterious medallion is the symbol of the COQUI. He then went on to explain the origin of the coqui frog and it's importance to the natives of Peurto Rico. At that moment we adopted the Coqui as our own. Patrick and I each wear a tattoo of the symbol of the Coqui over our hearts.

I always felt happy just knowing Patrick was out there in North Carolina, or Arizona, or Virginia or Florida, or NYC, or even Alaska... Patrick is still out there making me happy. He will always be swimming in my soul. Say the word "COQUI!"... Patrick will hear you. Always.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was truly shocked when I read your comments! Patrick and I were speaking of our travels recently while driving in Anchorage. He lived only a town away from us in NC. I told him about my visit to Puerto Rico in 1986. I was telling him all about these amazing little creatures called, "Coqui" frogs -I just loved them! He laughed at this and now I know why.

Victor thanked me recently for being Patrick's friend. I wanted to thank Patrick for being mine :)

5:22 PM  
Blogger Fran said...

Tammy from Alaska writes:
I was so stunned over the Coqui Frog comments from Tai. The two things I carried on to Patrick about were the Llunque Rain Forrest and the Coqui frogs, lol. Patrick and I have lived in the same states and visited many of the same places. Our paths seemed to just miss crossing until now. Patrick even met a nurse and his wife who were moving away from Cordova during one of his trips. This nurse worked with my husband at the hospital, lol. What are the odds? I think we should start a site called, "The Seven Degrees of Patrick Kirk" :)

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home