Remembering Patrick

To post your thoughts, email friendsofpatrick@gmail.com to subscribe.



On September 4, 2005, Patrick Kirk crossed over to a higher plane, at the age of 33. His ashes were interred at Harleigh Cemetery in Camden, N.J. Sept. 24


Saturday, September 10, 2005

Make Decisions, Not Mistakes....

Although I knew Patrick for only a short time, I am deeply saddened by his loss...

We met in May of 1999, while he was working on the Press Event for the opening of Universal's new theme park, Islands of Adventure. It was a usual night of drinking with friends at Pat O'Brien's, and up walks this total stranger, who had also been enjoying the parties that night. He began talking with our group, and instantly there was a connection. So much so, that I had the honor of sharing his 26th birthday with him several weeks later in Sarasota. Sadly, he moved away shortly after, heading back to the land of Philly, where I know he truly felt at home. We stayed in touch through phone and e-mail, and again had the pleasure of seeing him in May of 2000, while visiting NYC for school (I took a train down to Philly). Although he was suffering from a terrible cold at the time, like the gracious host he always strived to be, we hit the town for a few drinks.

We saw each other briefly in Spring of 2001, when he drove over with a friend to meet me and group of friends from college for a day at Universal Hollywood...one of the few pictures I have of him.

Our next encounter did not actually take place until spring of 2002, when he invited me for a visit to Phoenix, and all of the wonderful sites there were to see. Again, it was a time of change in his life, preparing for his big move back to Alaska, but he went above and beyond, chauffering me to and from different reservations, and topping it off with a visit to the Grand Canyon on Easter Sunday. What a magnificent site, and a magnificent person to share that experience with...

Our last time seeing one another was this past Christmas. As most of you know, he had saved up for some time, and planned a trip to surpise all of his friends in Philly. With that trip, came a quick detour south to visit me, and spend Christmas with his father. It was great just spending time with one another, catching up on our lives, and seeing some of the sites. I had the pleasure of meeting his father, when he surprised him at Disney, and I was able to get them into the park. I'll now never forget the last time we said good-bye, and I hope to see you soon again....if only I had taken pictures of our time together (to this day, I think I have only two of him).

As I process the reality, and the emotions of what has happened, it makes me insane that I can't think of the last time we spoke. His birthday is the last real communication I think we shared....

Isn't if funny the way things happen? He had been on my mind a lot recently, as I took an overseas trip to Asia, and made sure I waved "HELLO" from the sky as I passed over Alaska....sadly, I was no longer waving to the person during my return trip home on Thursday....

What I will always remember about Patrick....his outstanding courage, and the ability to bring it out in others; his great sense of humor; his warm heart; his never-ending hospitality; his AMAZING voice(I heard him sing only once (Janis Joplin) at a bar in Sarasota); his incessant snoring(those of you who have ever shared a room with him will know exactly what I'm talking about....and how could he fall asleep SO FAST?!); but most importantly, I will remember a great person who I looked forward to knowing the rest of my life....

To Patrick's father - it was great getting to meet you this past Christmas, and I'm sorry for the loss of your son...you should be proud of the person he turned out to be...

Patrick - wherever you are right now, I can't wait to see you again, because I know you'll be throwing one hell of a party....

I'm sorry if this seemed long-winded, but I felt that reliving all of my memories with him, would help to make him last forever....

"If I knew things would no longer be....I would've remembered them better...."

3 Comments:

Blogger Fran said...

Oh Jeff,
Believe it or not my father and I discussed you last night and it was torturing us not knowing how to contact you. I am so glad word has reached you. If you'd like to make contact please write and I'll get you my phone #. Patrick was proud that he got to take Dad on that trip for the day and Thank-You for making it possible for dad and Patrick! You to were a good friend to him.
Fran

6:48 AM  
Blogger Robert Drake said...

hey jeff - i'm glad you posted. i just assumed that you would, so i signed you into the site. it's funny, since it was actually ME that was working the press event at Universal -- i just took PK along for the ride! I'm glad i did, since he got to meet someone so cool...

8:16 AM  
Blogger Jeff P said...

Thank you to Robert for finding me - I must have been on a mass mail of Patrick's at one time(thru the many address changes he made!). Sadly, I will not be able to attend on the 24th...please send me any information you can about services(address, #, etc.). He always spoke highly of his (large) family, both physical and spiritual. The sadness hit me this morning...my deepest sympathy goes out to all of us...

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home