Remembering Patrick

To post your thoughts, email friendsofpatrick@gmail.com to subscribe.



On September 4, 2005, Patrick Kirk crossed over to a higher plane, at the age of 33. His ashes were interred at Harleigh Cemetery in Camden, N.J. Sept. 24


Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Alaska Love

This was sent to the gmail account - to make it easier for Bev (the author), I am posting it on her behalf:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not the most technologically advanced individual, so I just hope this goes through.

I was stunned to read this morning's paper - three obits of young people - all friends of mine. (The other two were 22 and 17, and were students at the school where I was principal a few years ago.)

But Patrick! He was a bigger-than-life guy, wasn't he? We became friends when my husband and I met Patrick at our favorite Mexican restaurant years ago. Patrick was our server, and I was at once curious because he was wearing a Scout camp tee shirt which I recognized (I have worked with the Scouts for over 30 years). I was wearing a Scouting event vest that has my name embroidered on it, and Patrick and I were both delighted to discover that we share the same last name! He and my husband decided that we are not related, though. Oh well...

That was all it took, but it was enough. Over the years, I'd get Patrick a new Scout shirt when they came out - it became our big thing. In fact, I have one in the van right now. My husband and I took it by Garcia's last month and were surprised to learn that Patrick was no longer there. He seemed like an eternal fixture. With confidentiality such a big contemporary issue, I was having no luck tracking him down, and I was so disappointed.

When we'd go into Garcia's, we always asked to be seated at one of Patrick's tables - we'd sit and wait, if we had to. He was worth it! He'd always give me this booming, "Hi, Bev!" and his trademark big hug, then he'd solemnly shake Bud's hand and ask, "How are you this evening, Dr. Kirk?" He was such a spoof.

This afternoon I called the phone number listed in the paper and barely got into a conversation (during a memorial service!) when the call dropped. I'll try again in a day or two, when I feel that I can talk.

Things are seldom slow at Garcia's, but on rare occasions Patrick would have time to squeeze into the booth or seat next to me and we'd talk about snow-machining, dogs, Scouting, or life in general. Several of my kids are older than Patrick was, but he was such a spoof, and such a very special, precious friend. I loved him a lot, and am glad that he knew that. Patrick was a wonderful, unique guy to know. I will always love him and miss him. God rest you, Patrick, my dear friend. Go in peace. Go in love.

Bev Kirk

2 Comments:

Blogger Fran said...

Bev,
I have to once again go through the pictures but I think there is one of Patrick with a scouting shirt on and if you have any please foward to the blog. I just wanted to say welcome to the "Kirk" family as I am sure if we traced our heritage we are related somehow. (Now I can tell people we have a doctor in our family!)Thank-you for sharing your touching story and contacting Ray.
Fran

7:30 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Patrick, I love and miss you everyday, my dearest friend and little brother.

2:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home